Rosario was origanally a part of a San Francisco de Malabon (now General Trias) and it was called Tejero by the spaniards. The name of Tehero may have originated from the spanish word teger (to weave) becouse sea fishing was the primary industry of the people,and weaving fish net the main occupation of the womenfolk.
Be that as it may,Rosario was also formely called Salinas (derive from the sal or salt)becouse of the salt making was another important industry of the town.The place was likewise foremely was called Marcella or marcelles due to its prximity the sea( mar in Spanish).But during the Philipines Revolution Rosario was called by the former of the name Salinas
Rosario or Salinas become the independent municipality in 1846.However another source say the even took place one year earlier. The creation of the Roasario in to an independent town concided with the pounding of the Rosario parish in 1845. The was name after the patron saint Nuestra Senora del Rosario (our lady of the rosary)although natives the place nighboring town still call by its old named Salinas
During the revolution the ill-fated Tejeros convention was held on March 22 1897 in the fair state house in barios Tejeros,Magdiwangterritory.Today the Brios is called Tejeros convention in Memory of the Historic event.
There are two version of Nuestra Senora del Rosario .The first version says the image of the Madonna and Child was one day found floating on the water by a group of youngster playing along the seashore.The kids playing the image using its toys, and afterward they would hide it in bushsesnear in the sea.But everytime they comeback they saw the image already floating liesurely on the water as if waiting for them. They though it strange but could not explain how the image get back to the water.
Not long afterwards their elder learned about the image and they took it to an empty nipa shock.Thus began the public adoration of the Madonna and child.The hut was sonn transformed into a place worship.News if the miraculous happening image spread around.So great was religious fervor stied by the image among the people that they decided to adopt itas the patron saint of the town and change the Salinas Marcella to Rosario.
The second verrsionis sligthly different from the first. The image of Madonna an Child was found on a big Tamarind tree.The people decided to construct a small chapel and install the image on its altar,threafter holding an annual feast in the honor of Nuestr Senoro del Rosario evry firs Sunday of October.
BARRIOS OF ROSARIO
Of ten Barrios of the Rosario,Bagbag is easily the most progresive. During the spanish time this place was a thickly forested area teeming with a wood cutters gatrhering firewood and charcoal.All day long in the forest reverated with a sound of wood cutting.People would say Binakbakan ang mga punongkahoy .Soon the people was called the Binakbakan or Bagbagan which eventually was shorten to Bagbag Its present name.the proximity of Bagbag to the poblacion make it a natural basin of the town overflow of the population as well of its economic and social progress.One of distiguished son of the Bagbag is Julio Mata three times municipal Precident of Rosario.
Muzon on the other hand is busy fishing center any time of the day.It was seperated from barrio San Juan de Dios in the 19th century.Maqny people goto Muzonto buy fresh.Fish called Lalaw or Tunsoy which later sold in Public marketof ajoining municipalities.
Spanish ship used to anchor near the beach of Muzon.During the Philipines Revolution a short battle was foughtr here beetwen spaniard and filipino revolutionunder the seargent Cordellio and Valentin Vivo later assisted by Capt. Mariano San Gabriel of san Francisco de Malabon.
A spanish warship that ran aground near Muzon bombarded the town of Rosario perhaps to ward off attacks by revolutionist cousing huge destruction in the thickly populated area.The Ship departed the next mouning upon the rising of the tide among the eminent son of Muzonwere Dr. Faustino Solis, Dr.Celestino Pugeda, Atty.Candido Samonte, Dr.Nemesio Prudente and Dr.Pedro Gionco.
Source: Saulo & de Ocampo - History of Cavite